Electrical installations are now governed by a new set of rules. The new Wiring Rules AS/NZS 3000 has been developed by Standards Australia and industry experts. Compliance with the new Wiring Rules AS/NZS 3000 will be applied on a mandatory basis in accordance with relevant State legislation. the Wiring Rules 2018 are now set to be mandated in NSW, QLD, VIC, WA, TAS and NT on 1 January 2019, with SA and ACT announcing their date soon.
Essential for electricians, inspectors and regulators, AS/NZS 3000 specifies the electrical installation safety requirements for all premises in Australia and New Zealand. The new edition is a complete revision of the 2007 edition and expands coverage on electrical installations, improves safeguards and brings industry requirements in line with best practice.
A broad paint brush look should see no alterations to existing plant and equipment, the only time it will effect established equipment will be where plant up grades take place, that part of plant will need be brought into line with the new standards. New Quarry installations will require full compliance.
The new Wiring Rules book will be 30% bigger, with more than 600 pages of information, 200 new changes and a spiral bound finish, including now with new technology, new equipment, and improved installation techniques. It is essential for all electrical contractors, inspectors, and regulators, specifying electrical installation safety requirements for all premises in Australia.
Changes in the new Wiring Rules 2018 include:
- New mandatory Residual Current Devices requirements;
- New electric vehicle socket outlet requirements;
- Improved installation requirements for cables that pass through bulk thermal insulation;
- New clauses on Arc Fault Detection Devices;
- Enhanced switchboard installation requirements;
- Revised requirements for lighting and also for cooking appliance switching;
- Improved safeguards bring industry requirements in line with best practice.