These two units are combined into a two day course which provides attendees with two completed units of the Certificate II in Surface Extraction Operations.
RIIOHS201A—Work Safely and follow OHS Policies and Procedures
RIIRIS201A—Conduct Local Risk Control
Box Hill Institute of TAFE
Diane Wilson – 03 9286 9711
Work Safely covers the essential requirements to satisfy safe work practices. It includes accessing and identifying the site safety procedures, applying personal safety measures, applying operational safety measures, maintaining personal well-being and identifying and reporting incidents.
The Conduct Local Risk Control unit covers the skills and knowledge required to apply basic risk control processes at a work site. It includes the identification of hazards; assessing risk; identifying unacceptable risk; identifying/analysing and implementing standard risk treatments; and completing records and reports.
This course contains the provision for a conversion to Red Card upon completion.
The unit requires the attendance of both day’s training and the successful completion of a homework project. Private and confidential support is available for persons who have language or learning difficulties.
As an employee you can and will jumpstart your career path – the Work Safely unit is the core unit in the Certificate II in Extractive Industries Operations training package, and the Conduct Local Risk Control unit achieves a basic knowledge of hazard and risk identification and risk treatments.
As an employer you will help meet your requirements under the OH&S Act and show the DPI that you are making an attempt to improve the safety awareness of employees in your work place and encourages active participation in risk identification and management in the workplace.
The safety of the contractors who come onto the site is as much your responsibility as any of your other employees. Help them to help you by developing an understanding of OH&S on quarry sites before an accident occurs.
- Take 5
- Issue Resolution Form
- Job Safety Analysis (JSA)
- Access and interpret the site safety procedures
- Apply personal safety measures
- Apply operational safety measures
- Maintain personal wellbeing for job
- Identify and report incidents
Examples of application
- Collecting, analysing & organising information – to access, interpret and apply information on safety procedures and systems
- Communicating ideas & information – being able to convey information about potential hazards and incidents
- Planning & organising activities – to plan and organise a work task, taking into account the work-site safety procedures and systems
- Working with teams & others – to have a positive attitude towards personal and co-worker safety
- Solving problems – to apply safety procedures and systems to changing situations
- Using technology – to use rescue and/or fire fighting equipment
Conduct Local Risk Control
- Identify hazards
- Assess risk and identify unacceptable risk
- Identify, analyse and implement risk treatments
- Complete records and reports
Examples of application
- Collecting, analysing & organising information – to access, interpret, and apply site information on risk control systems
- Communicating ideas & information – to convey information about potential hazards and incidents
- Planning & organising activities – to plan and organise a work task, taking into account the site risk control systems
- Working with teams & others – to work with other team members on identifying hazards, assessing risks, and deciding on control measures
- Using mathematical ideas & techniques – to perform a basic “risk ranking” of hazards
- Solving problems – to evaluate consequence and frequency, and to analyse and select control options